Tips to Reduce Morning Sickness and Backaches During Pregnancy
Here are some do’s and don’ts that will help you prevent backaches and morning sickness, some of the most common complaints, during pregnancy. Make sure to consult with your doctor and consider visiting a TCM practitioner and/or physiotherapist if you are having difficulty with back pain or nausea. Natural treatments, exercises, and small lifestyle modifications can help you be more comfortable during your pregnancy.
- Eat many small meals throughout the day to avoid an empty stomach.
- Eat soda crackers or other simple snacks 15 minutes before getting out of bed in the morning.
- Follow your instincts: eat what you feel like eating, whenever you feel you can. Cravings can be your body’s way of telling you that you need something.
- Get fresh air. A walk or simply breathing some air through an open window can ease your nausea.
- Keep yourself well hydrated. Always have water nearby and take small sips throughout the day. Don’t drink ice water, but room temperature or warm water.
- Use hot or cold packs to alleviate backaches. However, you should not apply direct heat on the abdomen.
- Exercise regularly to strengthen the back muscles. Ask your doctor or physiotherapist for a good, safe exercise routine to help with this.
- Maintain proper posture to relieve strain on the spine. A physiotherapist can demonstrate for you, along with recommending stretching and strengthening exercises.
- Lie down after eating, as it can slow digestion and cause acid reflux.
- Skip meals or go too long without a snack/meal.
- Eat hot and spicy foods. Your TCM doctor can explain what foods are considered “hot” and outline recommended foods for you during pregnancy.
- Consume food that overstimulates your sense of smell.
- Ignore severe pain over an extended period of time.
- Slouch, as it puts pressure on the spine.